Friday, November 28, 2014

#BookBlogWriMo 11/28- Book Pet Peeves

I feel like I am going to have a lot to say about this one....

1.) Stereotypical Characters with Little to No Character Development
I hate that classic cheerleader character who stays all of the negative adjectives throughout the whole book or series. It makes me want to throw the book which I don't want to do because I like to keep my books in good condition.

2.) Terribly Constructed Love Triangles 
Sometimes, love triangles actually work, but that's only because the author is able to construct it beautifully. In my opinion, Cassandra Clare crafted the best love triangle in YA history in the Infernal Devices Series. Clare is able to make us fall in love with both Jem and Will as Tessa is. When Tessa is with Will, we are convinced that he is the best for her, but then when she is with Jem, we think he is the best choice! It is the most wonderful confusion and we completely feel for Tessa because we feel as if we are in the same situation she is in.
 For an in the middle love triangle, I would pick the one from the Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas. I call it an 'in the middle love triangle' because Maas is able to make us feel for both Dorian and Chaol, but for Celaena, she never really is in love with them both at the same time, she kind of flip flops between the two boys, meanwhile us as readers love them both at the same time and both of the boys still love Celaena while she goes from Dorian to Chaol to Dorian and back to Chaol. This love triangle (which I still think it is) could be better, but it is not off putting. (*I have not yet read the third book, this is just my observation of the first two)
 For a bad love triangle, I would choose the attempt from The Selection Series by Kiera Cass. Keep in mind I did finish this series because I enjoyed it and loved Maxon if I must admit. Cass tried to make a love triangle, but instead of making the readers fall for both guys, she made us absolutely hate Aspen and praise Maxon. There was always a clear choice for America as the readers saw. Cass tried to create conflict and tension with "the choice" between Maxon and Aspen, but, really, it was always Maxon for the readers. The goal for a love triangle is to make both your protagonist and your readers confused on who is better, for these books, the only person confused was America.

3.) Bad World Building
Yes, I understand you can't just lay down the plans for your world and be like, "Here you go!" You have to ease into it. It bugs me when authors ease into the world too slowly or not at all. There are authors that come up with this world that sounds so great in the synopsis for the book and then you read it and you soon realize all the world building was in the synopsis. One not terribly bad offender is Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne because there is this company that is never explained what exactly it is and everything runs on this one network which is never explained and people use these iPad type things they call tabs which are never described (like televisions are super old and they use big tabs in replacement that run on the Network). I did finish and enjoy the book, but I wanted more in the world building department, but there are more books, so maybe it is explained later. *Side note, it took forever to find out the main character and narrator's name.

4.) Inconsistent/Unpredictable Characters
I am put off by characters who are rude one second and wonderful the next. Not even just like that, but characters who are constantly changing. I also don't like characters who you never know if they will side with your main character or how that character will react to something. For example Braith in Captured by Erica Stevens (by the way, I really like the world building. Just enough information and still left some to be desired). Braith had some serious anger issues so you never knew how he would react to something Aria did. Sometimes Braith was just like, "Okay, we'll figure something out. Everything will be fine," or he would be super enraged. I guess in this world, vampires are quick to anger, but still. The only thing consistent about Braith was that he would do anything to keep Aria safe. If you haven't read this book, you should. It is a pretty decent paranormal romance.

5.) Annoying Characters
I know this is something that every reader has experienced. For me, the book that turned me away with annoying characters was Belle's Song by K.M. Grant. The characters weren't necessarily annoying, I just didn't like them (except Belle, the narrator, was super annoying).

6.) Writing Style That I Don't Gel With
Sometimes, there is just a certain writing style I don't like. One book in particular for this is A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Don't get me wrong, I see the merit in this book, it is a classic and liked by tons of people, I just didn't like the writing style, but I did read the whole book which I am super proud of myself for doing that.

That is all that comes to mind right now, but I'm sure there's more. I did tell you that this post would be longer. If you have any feelings on the things discussed above or if you want to tell me your book pet peeves, comment down below! I will see you all tomorrow with another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your name. Any comments made as Anonymous will be deleted.